What Does a Library Services Traineeship Involve?
22 July 2020
A library services traineeship is one of many traineeships My Gateway offers. While the traineeship involves many transferable skills and tasks that could help you in any industry, it is also quite a niche qualification, given the specifics you learn about working in a library.
A library services traineeship will see you perform a variety of regular tasks. These include:
- Providing clerical support to your team
- Supporting team with events and functions such as author readings, book week, etc.
- Sorting and shelving library material
- Participating in team meetings, group discussions and events
- Answering phone enquiries and carrying out relevant research to meet customer needs
- Creating and maintaining accurate records, documenting activities of customers
- General administration duties such as filing, photocopying and mail outs
Skill Requirements for Success
To be successful in your library services traineeship, you will need to develop strong skills in the following areas. These include:
- Highly organised
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer knowledge
- Strong customer focus
- Ability to multitask and work to deadlines
You can learn more about a library services traineeship and other traineeships at our Helpful Resources page.